Travelling can be very expensive. But there are also numerous and creative ways to get around the globe. Here are 10 incredible ways to save up for that thrilling, memorable vacation in one year.
Where are you going? How long?
Apparently, you can only start saving if you have a definitive goal in mind. Telling yourself, “I want to travel and see the world,” isn’t enough. It helps a lot if you have a general idea of where you want to go and visit, what’s your daily budget, how will you get around, where do you want to sleep, when do you want to travel, and how long do you want to stay. Of course, you have to keep in mind that things can (they mostly do) change, but taking the first step with a target in mind can really help push and inspire you to save money.
How much money do I have to spend?
Do some research. Travelling through Western Europe, Oceania, and North America can be much more expensive, including countries like United Kingdom, France, Monaco, the Netherlands, Spain, Luxembourg, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Sweden, Bermuda, Mexico, Canada, as well as the USA. While travelling to South America Eastern Europe and South East Asia countries can be less expensive.
Save up as much as you can
Saving money can be tough especially if you can’t give in to the urge to splurge. But there’s no better motivation than having a clear goal. Bottom line: it’s just about rearranging your priorities. Now would be the perfect opportunity to rethink your lifestyle on how you spend your money. Here are a few suggestions:
- Stay focused. This is important as it will lead and guide you toward your goals. Write a note and place it somewhere that you will see regularly, like in your bedroom or in your wallet.
- Plan your budget. Write down your (monthly) expenses and list down every single purchase or payment you made within the last 30 days.
- Sell your stuff. Go through your closet, garage, and boxes to find for things or items you no longer need. Either you can run a garage sale or sell your items online at Ebay, Craigslist, ExchangeMyPhone or Amazon.
- Limit Entertainment. Instead of going to concerts and nightclubs to party or going to the cinema, why not invite your friends over, or go to places on days they are giving free admission, and seek for other free things to do for entertainment.
- Look for the Best Interest Rate. To grow your savings, you may want to do some research and find the best savings account which offers high interest rates.
- Save money on Utilities. Cut or reduce your energy bills to save money. Switch to energy-efficient light bulbs to reduce and cut down your electricity bills.
- Write a list before you go shopping – and stick to it. Stop impulse buying and unplanned purchases when you go to the mall to save money.
- Make extra money. It’s difficult to save up if you are not making a lot. Either you can supplement with freelance work, pick up a second job, or find a new job which will help you to boost your income and savings.
- Book early and save. If you want to rent a car, VroomVroomVroom can help you find, compare and book the best car rental and campervan hire deals.
- Splurge smart. Just because you are saving up doesn’t mean you need to be super tight with every single penny. Treat yourself too. If you feel like you save on the biggies, spoil and allow yourself some “fun money” – but indulge responsibly and splurge smart without blowing your budget. Prioritize.
You might not be able to get the most fashionable bag, wear a designer heels, or buy the latest iPhone model. But so what? In the end it’s those sacrifices that allow you to save the money needed to recognize (and make) your dream – and that’s to travel and see the world.