For young drivers, it can be difficult to determine which car rental companies you can rent with, and if you are even permitted to drive in some countries. There is a lot of choice even when it comes to the type of vehicle you can rent. For example, young drivers often cannot rent prestige vehicles.
If you are aged under 21 and struggling to find a rental car, check out some smaller, independent car rental companies. These companies will sometimes rent to young drivers. VroomVroomVroom compares car rental in Australia, New Zealand, the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. We have put together a list of the minimum age requirements from some of our suppliers in each country, to help you count the costs for your upcoming road trip.
Australia is an appealing place to plan a long road trip, with thousands of kilometres of beautiful outback terrain to explore. Restrictions apply if you are a young driver renting a car in the land Down Under. Young drivers pay an additional daily surcharge, and are required to have held a driving licence for more than a year.
- AVIS: $28.50AUD for drivers aged between 21 to 24.
- BUDGET: $16.50AUD for drivers aged 21 to 25.
- EUROPCAR: Those aged between 21 to 24 will pay a surcharge of $30.25AUD.
- HERTZ: $16.50AUD for renters between 21 and 25.
- REDSPOT: $16.50AUD for those between 21 and 25.
- THRIFTY: Drivers between 21 and 24 will pay an additional $27.50AUD surcharge.
The restrictions for young drivers when renting cars in the United States differs between locations. It is a good idea to check the minimum age limit and daily surcharge with the particular depot from which you intend to hire your car. From some locations drivers aged below 25 may not be permitted to drive at all. Drivers in New York and Michigan who are over 18 are permitted to drive by some suppliers, but will pay an additional surcharge. Read more here.
- ALAMO: $25USD surcharge for drivers 21 to 24.
- AVIS: Surcharge of up to $35USD applies for those aged 21 to 24.
- BUDGET: Drivers between 21 and 24 will pay a surcharge of up to $35USD.
- DOLLAR: Young drivers between 21 and 24 will pay up to $35USD surcharge.
- HERTZ: Young drivers between 21 and 24 will be charged up to $35USD per day.
- NATIONAL: Up to $35USD per day for drivers aged 21 to 24.
- THRIFTY: Drivers between 21-25 will pay up to $35USD.
Depending on which supplier you choose to rent with in the United Kingdom, age limits and surcharge amounts can vary. Young drivers who are under 30 cannot drive certain kinds of prestige vehicles. Renters may need to be over 25 to rent a car, and will have more limited options when it comes to risk reduction products.
- ALAMO: Drivers aged from 22-24 will pay a charge of £27.08 plus taxes.
- AVIS: Provided they have held their licence for three years, drivers under 25 will pay a surcharge of £39.
- BUDGET: A daily surcharge of £38 will apply to drivers between 23 and 25.
- EUROPCAR: Drivers between 22 and 24 will pay a surcharge of £27.08 plus taxes. Age limits differ between locations.
- HERTZ: Drivers 23-24 will pay an additional daily surcharge. Drivers under 30 may not rent a prestige vehicle.
- THRIFTY: £33 for drivers between 21 and 24.
- ENTERPRISE: Drivers must be 25 years or older. Restrictions on vehicle types may apply if under 30.
There is a lot to get excited about when planning a road trip to New Zealand. From the snow-capped peaks of the Southern Alps to the stunning bays of the North Island, there is plenty to explore along the road. Young drivers will need to consider the surcharges they will need to pay per day, and any restrictions on their ability to reduce the rental car excess amount.
- AVIS: $28.75NZD daily surcharge for drivers between 21 and 25.
- BUDGET: Drivers aged 21-25 will pay $28.75NZD per day.
- EUROPCAR: Drivers aged 21 to 24 will pay $28.75NZD.
- HERTZ: Young drivers between 21 and 25 will pay a surcharge, which differs between locations.
- THRIFTY: $17.25NZD surcharge for drivers aged 21-24.
Explore Canada’s magnificent scenery by road. Young drivers can still rent a car in Canada, but in many cases will have to pay an additional daily surcharge. Drivers under 25 cannot drive some vehicles. In many cases, they can only drive economy and intermediate vehicles.
- ALAMO: $25CAD for drivers aged 21-24.
- AVIS: Surcharge of up to $35CAD will apply for those aged 21-24.
- BUDGET: Young drivers 21-25 will pay surcharge of up to $35CAD.
- DOLLAR: Surcharge of $25-30CAD for drivers between 21 and 25.
- ENTERPRISE: Drivers aged 21 to 24 will pay daily surcharge of $10-15CAD.
- HERTZ: $25CAD for drivers aged 20-24.
- THRIFTY: Surcharge of $30CAD for drivers between 21 and 24.
Are you a young driver planning an overseas road trip? Tell us about it in the comment section below.