New Driver’s Licence Requirement in New Zealand

Are you planning to go on a holiday in New Zealand? Before you leave, make sure that you have all the necessary documents, including your driver’s licence, to avoid any hassle. However, with the new requirements that were recently implemented, you may need more than just your driver’s licence.


The New Zealand Transport Agency, Tourism Industry Association, and the Rental Vehicle Association of New Zealand recommend car hire customers to acquire an English-written licence. That is the new requirement for any car rental booking in New Zealand.

If your driver’s licence is not in English, then you should present an International Drivers Permit or an approved translation of your licence. According to the Minister of Transport, driving licences from European countries except the United Kingdom are affected by this new requirement.

One of VroomVroomVroom’s car hire suppliers, Europcar, supports these recommendations. The car rental company can arrange an official translation to those who don’t have an International Drivers Permit or approved translation. However, be prepared to pay around $80NZD and wait up to two hours for the translation to be processed. For more information, check out the website of NZ Transport Agency.

Leave a Reply